This is in sequence to our earlier part of the Amazing Windows 7 Series. This part features the best Windows tricks which you might have never heard of.
TIP .3 Change the Default Folder of Windows Explorer
It’s a common feature for Windows to open the Libraries views on default, but most of the times, we may be requiring some other folder to open in default view and here’s how you do it :
1. Open any folder and right click on the folder icon in the task bar. Then again right click over the “Windows Explorer” and select “properties“.
Search “Windows Explorer” in start menu and right click on it and select “properties“.
2.In the Properties tab, select the “shortcut” tab. Here you can see the Default location of the Explorer in the “Target” Field. We just need to change that field for our required purpose.
The new locations which needs to be entered are GUIDs (Globally Unique Identifier’s) which can be obtained for any folder through the Registry Directory. It was these codes which we have used in our earlier part to enable hidden God-Modes. this is how you obtain them :
1. Open “Run” from start menu and enter “Regedit” to enter the registry editor. Go to Edit >> Find and type in a example key like the one below :
This key refers to the Windows Media Player. but you can dig around for more pre-set default folder locations.
2. Copy the key of the desired folder and enter the target field with a vale like this :
The example shown above opens the “Network” folder. Just change the Key value and keep the first part ” %windir%\explorer.exe ::” as it is.
3. You can also open Specific folders without the need of keys by replacing the “FOLDER” name with your desired folder location like this :
Just change the location “C:\FOLDER” to any desired location and save your settings.
TIP. 4 Burn ISO Images to Discs. NO NERO NEEDED
The most painful part of earlier Windows was with the handling of CD/DVD’s, where you have always needed the help of some 3rd party tools, even to burn a ISO image to a disc. Thankfully, Windows 7 addresses that problem internally. Even burning discs is smooth and refined to a greater extent. Two modes of burning – Live File System and Mastered formats are allowed.
For Burning ISO Images :
1. Insert an empty DVD/CD into the drive.
2. Double Click the ISO image, choose the drive with the blank disc, click Burn and watch as your disc is created. Windows Disc Image Burner will need to be set as the default program with all of it associations (.iso & .img) set to it for this to work. It is by default in Windows 7.
For Live File System Formats :
1.Insert an empty DVD/CD into the drive.
2. In the AutoPlay dialog box that appears, click Burn files to disc using Windows Explorer. If the AutoPlay dialog box doesn’t appear, click the Start button , click Computer, and then double-click your disc burner.
3. In the Burn a Disc dialog box, type a name for this disc in the Disc title box, click Like a USB flash drive, and then click Next. This is the option for burning a disc that uses the Live File System disc format. It might take several minutes for the disc to be formatted. When the formatting is complete, an empty disc folder opens.
4. You can either Copy-Paste, Drag-Drop files from your folders into the Empty Disc folder. You can finalize the burning of the disc at the end by following the Onscreen instructions that come along with it.
For Mastered Format :
4. After Steps 1,2 and 3 as above, Click Mastered, and then click Next. An empty disc folder opens.
5. Open the folder that contains the files you want to burn, and then drag the files into the empty disc folder.
On the toolbar, click Burn to disc.The selected files are copied to the disc. When the disc burning is complete, the disc burner tray will open and you can remove the disc. You can now use the disc in another computer or media device. This type of disc does not need to be closed.
TIP .6 Search Internet directly from Desktop
You can automatically search various sites from your desktop itself without opening your browser. Windows 7 allows you to search remote website databases from your desktop, using open standards like Open Search and RSS. You will be needing some connectors which will help you surf your favorite websites, which you can download it here. You can learn to create your own connectors also.
Tip.7 Shortcut to Run Program as Administrator
You can Ctrl+Shift+Click on a taskbar icon to run the application as an Administrator with full rights (provided your account has permissions). Simply Shift+Right-Click on any program shortcut to run it as a different user.
Neat Windows Tricks, aren’t they?
The Next Part : Problem Steps Recorder, and other hidden features
Windows 7 was the first real upgrade in Operating System Software, But many features remain hidden/not publicized. Unlock them to realize it’s true potential.